Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Mendoza and Neuquen Trip

Sorry about the lack of posts recently. I got my backpack stolen (bastards!) with my camera and iPod in it so I haven't really been able to take any photos for my blog. Luckily they didn't get neither my passport nor my money or credit card so no catastrophe and my very nice landlady Valeria borrowed me her (dinosaur model) digital camera so I could shoot at least a few photos. Thanks, Val! So, last week I went on a little trip to Neuquen and Mendoza, which are both in the west of the country close to the border to Chile. I went by bus, and the buses here are just amazingly comfy. It's kind of like flying, they show you movies, give you pillows and blankets and they have a little bus steward who serves you food and drinks. Fantastic! In Neuquen I visited Noe, a friend of mine, who was nice enough to feed me with a lot of empanadas, asado, guiso carrero, sopa inglese and mate. I have to say, though (sorry Noe!), that Neuquen Capital in itself was pretty small and it didn't take very long to go through the main attractions. I made up for all the eating in Neuquen when I got to Mendoza where I just drank wine hahaha. :-P I can recommend a pretty cheap but EXCELLENT 2003 Merlot I found called LaGarto (lizard). It's made by an American called Paul Hobbs who produces the wines and imports them to the US, so if you live there chances are pretty good you'll find it.


Wonderful palm trees along the Avenida Argentina, the biggest (and almost the only) street of Neuquen. There's a lot of Avenidas here in Argentina, but everyone keeps telling me that in order for it to REALLY be an Avenida it has to have at least four lanes in each direction and that the only real Avenida in Argentina would be Av. 9 de Julio here in Buenos Aires.


A random statue in the center of Neuquen.


The beautiful blue river of Limay at one end of Neuquen Capital. The city is actually situated at the confluence of two rivers, the river Limay in the south and the river Neuquen in the north.


The center of Mendoza consists of a major plaza in the middle surrounded by four smaller ones. This one, Plaza España, was my favorite because of the cute little fountain and the picture depicting scenes from Don Quijote mixed with images from the discovery of America.


This building, the Casa de Gobierno, I was told (by my guide book) was an exceptional example of Modern Urbanism, characterized by the arranging of zones according to urban activities, rationalization of the road network, incorporation of vegetation and monumental perspectives, such as these pillars and stairs.


A random little nice tunnel I found in Centro Civico that was only half overgrown with ivy (or whatever it is).


The lake of Parque General San Martin in Mendoza with its gorgeous mountain backdrop.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

DArling!! I think you need help with geography... NEUQUÉN is in the west of ARGENTINA, not in east!...Mmm too bad!!!

Edward said...

Oooops.. Haha I've always had a big problem with left and right! :-D I'll fix it right away!

E.

Anonymous said...

YOu forget the "Guiso carrero", my mom will feel too sad...And... YOu have forgotten my dessert "Sopa inglesa"....I´m worry right now, I think your selective memory (MEMORIA SELECTIVA) has came AGAIN!! ....Brrrr too scary!!!

Edward said...

Sorry again! Wow, I'm really hopeless today... Would be dangerous to insult your police mom I think so I'll fix it right away. :-P

Anonymous said...

HEJ!! My Tyrant friend! JAJAJA that will be your new nickname!!
See you "dictador de tu blog" JAJAJA CUIdate mucho amigazo..P&K