Sunday, April 30, 2006

Last time in Old Cairo. Seriously!

I went back to Old Cairo AGAIN in order to give my excellent and fantastic Arabic teacher Mostafa (please give me a good grade! ;) a tour of the churches and the synagogue. Incredibly as it may sound he had never been there, nor to any church for that matter, despite studying Religion and Philosophy at the university. That might tell you a bit about how things work in Egypt. Anyway his only chance of getting into these places, at least after the Dahab bombings, was probably to go together with a really blonde Swedish tourist, i.e. me. :-) The guard at the entrance did indeed stop him and gave him an interrogation. He even asked me some things in Arabic, just to check that I was studying it. :) Good thing for Mostafa I passed the test... Hehehe.


Some fancy graves in Old Cairo...


My Arabic teacher Mostafa didn't want to be in the picture and tried to hide behind a bush. :-P


The next time he tried to hide in the dark..


I could use a few of these for my new nice sheeshas (waterpipes). :)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I look as a gaint in the 1st pic and as a goast in the 2nd ..!

I should look for new photographer:)

Edward said...

You should have seen the ones I didn't put on the site... Ha ha ha!! :)

Anonymous said...

me to . in shaaa allah
i will go there one day, especially the hanging church, actually , i visited a church before , but i thinke a touristic one would be different!

Uma said...

Hej,

I'm Johan's friend, I'm Uma. I saw your link from his blog and I found many awesome pictures here!:) I ve been thinking about backpacking north africa.. Do you think it would be quite dangerous for a girl?

Tack!:)

Uma said...

and btw, I think kebab tastes better than falafel!:D

Edward said...

Hi Uma!

Well, I am not so sure I would recommend going alone as a girl, in a group of girls though I think is ok. But even if you choose to go alone my personal experience is that although I doubt it is really dangerous you are going to have to expect quite a lot of very uncomfortable situations and comments traveling as single Western girl. And about the kebab, I would prefer kofta in that case, but I am still a sucker for tameyya (the Egyptian falafel)...

Uma said...

Thanks for the advices! :)

Actually I'm not a western girl.. so don't know what will they think about me:P

Anyway, Eygpt would be the first place I think about when I have sveral thousands of krona..