Saturday, December 10, 2005

Salar de Uyuni

Day 1


As proof in Salar de Uyuni makes clear all of Einstein's Gedanken-Experiments were not only conducted in his thoughts...


The poor woman who spent her days filling plastic bags with salt and then sealing them with a gas flame.


Our jeep and some of the jeep partners.


The night before taking off for our three-day trip I had been throwing up the whole night (apparently 65% of all tourists to Peru & Bolivia get sick during their stay there) so the first day of jeeping I was pretty quiet. The salt desert was very white and funny, though, so I couldn't stay sleeping in the jeep the whole time.


Could you pass me some more salt, please?


The salt crystals have a tendency to form these sheets of salt, which normally are more regular than in this picture.


Me in my nice hat feeling (a little) better now.


In the remote distance the flat salt acts as a mirror, and I was told when it is wet after a rainfall the effect is even more pronounced. But even here you can see little floaters at the horizon if you squint a lot.


Dinner in the salt hotel we stayed in the first night. It was entirely made out of salt, which was pretty cool, and with the lack of electricity in the evenings, the candle lights and the amazingly yummy Bolivian soup we were all very happy. Even I managed to eat a little bit.

Day 2


The next morning we went up extra early in the freezing cold to watch the sun rise over Salar de Uyuni.


Olof gets a brilliant idea.


The shadow from our jeep in the morning sun, I just thought it was cool all stretched out like that.


Me imitating James the Machu Picchu Canadian's obsession with touching tall things in his photos. In this case it is a volcano whose name escapes me.


The first of many a lagoon to come, this one filled with flamingoes.


Our mate-surpling jeep buddies and psychologists who travelled around living on what they made from selling handycraft. (I couldn't help but get myself a piece too, maybe I'll model with it later on...)


The red lagoon, where it was incredibly windy. My hat flew off and kept going forever before it stopped so I could go get it again. Fortunately it didn't end up in the water.

Day 3


Hot springs, but man was it cold in the air.


It had to suffice just dipping the feet...


Aaahhh, so soothing for the bright red Isla del Sol stripes on my poor feet...


Olof, Lisa and Mini looking a lot warmer than they actually were. I guess the foot bath must have been useful.


Apparently Picasso was here and painted these rocks...

No comments: